Sheldon Slimp is a Senior Consultant with Treliant. She is an attorney and compliance professional with experience defending institutional clients undergoing civil and criminal
Sheldon is a member of Treliant’s FinTech team, regularly assisting startups with reviewing, building, and assessing their Compliance Management Systems (CMS). Her recent FinTech work has included:
- Performing CMS reviews and assessments for several marketplace lenders on behalf of their partner banks to ensure compliance with applicable regulations as well as business best practices;
- Developing comprehensive regulatory policies and procedures for emerging financial services companies;
- Executing product and portfolio testing for several FinTech clients to determine the effectiveness of the compliance function and ensure compliance with all requirements of applicable consumer protection laws; and
- Drafting compliance training materials to educate both employees and management on key compliance topics and common regulatory pitfalls.
Additionally, Sheldon has led and participated in the management and execution of key compliance advisory projects for clients of varying asset sizes, from large U.S. banks to startup companies, including:
- Managing a team conducting a comprehensive testing project for a growing bank, ensuring compliance with 32 consumer and safety and soundness regulations;
- Conducting post-TRID (TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure) user acceptance testing of mortgage origination software;
- Managing a team testing a new loan portfolio management system’s compliance with the 2018 Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) rules;
- Performing model validation services and performance context reporting for a bank regarding fair lending practices;
- Updating a Fortune 500 bank’s mortgage servicing compliance manual for compliance with the 2017-2018 mortgage servicing rules, and creating corresponding checklists for testing to ensure adherence to the new rules;
- Working as a lead member of a compliance advisory team that prepared a client for a multibillion-dollar transfer of servicing; and
- Conducting a board and management assessment of a regional bank following examination findings presented by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), and assisting in the preparation of a three-year full-scope business strategic plan for the same client.
Prior to joining Treliant, Sheldon worked at Alston & Bird in Atlanta, on defense teams representing major financial institutions, hospital groups, and other Fortune 500 companies in several high-profile civil and criminal investigations. Her casework included shareholder derivative class actions, environmental class actions, and civil investigations of insider trading, as well as lawsuits alleging violations of the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and the federal False Claims Act (FCA).
Sheldon holds a JD from Tulane University Law School and is a Member in Good Standing of the State Bar of Georgia. She received a BA in Political Science from the University of Georgia. Additionally, Sheldon is recognized by the American Bankers Association as a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM).
Areas of Specialization
- Compliance Audits
- Compliance Programs
- Consumer Laws / Regulations
- FinTech Compliance
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
- Mortgage Law / Regulations
- TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure (TRID) Compliance
- Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP) Readiness