Mark Westmoreland is head of the firm’s Financial Technology (FinTech) practice and co-head of its Compliance practice. He is an attorney and experienced regulatory compliance executive, having worked in the field for over 15 years.
Mark has led large consulting projects for several Top 10 banks, including long-term consent order remediation projects. He previously served as in-house counsel at Capital One Bank and JPMorgan Chase Bank where he developed expertise in credit cards, student loans, and closed-end installment loans, including deep subject matter expertise in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and fair lending data usage and governance.
Mark’s career accomplishments and projects have included:
• Managing credit card consent order remediation projects, including compliance training, adverse action reason governance, rewards fulfillment, product fulfillment, policy and procedure creation, and compliance program assessment;
• Leading an international consulting engagement to overhaul compliance training content and delivery to 35,000+ employees in dozens of countries;
• Designing a compliance program plan and remediation plan for a consumer reporting agency;
• Acting as strategic consultant on first line vs. second line of defense to multiple banks;
• Leading product reviews for Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP) at Top 10 banks;
• Co-authoring a UDAAP training program for credit risk management;
• Designing and implementing regulatory complaint programs at several institutions;
• Presenting on complaint program design and other areas of compliance as a frequent speaker at the American Bankers Association (ABA) and Consumer Bankers Association (CBA);
• Leading a team to identify and resolve root causes related to regulatory complaints at a Top 10 bank; and
• Hosting a monthly industry forum on complaint program management.
Mark received his JD from the University of Virginia School of Law.